Thanksgiving is over and Christmas activities are just beginning. If you are fortunate enough to have an older senior in your life, it’s important to involve them in seasonal festivities. But sometimes it’s a challenge to figure out what to do with your loved one–meaning how to best engage them without overwhelming them. So to help you with ideas, we’ve put together a list of top ten holiday activities. Our older seniors are treasures who won’t be around forever, so make sure you do something special with yours this year!
- Create a memory album with pictures, captions, and favorite recipes.
- Take a drive to look at holiday lights.
- Plan an afternoon outing to the local beauty shop or bring a beautician in to the home for hair and nails.
- Cook a special meal together.
- Plan in advance
to attend a holiday concert, play, or parade.
- Organize a sing-along of holiday favorites for your neighborhood. Make it a small potluck gathering.
- Read favorite holiday stories out-loud to a senior.
- Watch TV holiday specials together.
- String popcorn or cranberries for the tree.
- Reminisce about past holidays. Play oldies music to stimulate those memories.
Remember that simple and upbeat activities are best. Holiday events needn’t be elaborate, expensive, or overly long. Crowds and excessive noise can sometimes make older seniors anxious, so choose activities that are more relaxed and intimate. Events featuring children always bring a special joy!