Laughter has many scientifically proven benefits for our mind/body/spirit. A daily dose of laughter can make a huge difference in the life of an older adult who might be dealing with physical ailments, isolation and depression. It can also provide a much needed lift for those dedicated caregivers who often neglect their own health. Here are a few of the sometimes surprising benefits.
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed
for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system.Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter lowers blood pressure and increases muscle range of motion.
- Laughter is great exercise. Dr. William Fry, well-known research scientist from Stanford University, scientifically proved that 10 minutes of laughter is equal to 30 minutes on the rowing machine. Laughter is a great cardiovascular workout. As an exercise, it has similar benefits as compared to other aerobic activities like jogging, swimming, and cycling.
Read more about the benefits of laughter at http://www.rxlaughter.org/t_reference.htm
Not finding anything funny? Practice laughing for no reason and you’ll reap the same benefits from fake laughter as you will from genuine laughter. Make it your goal to laugh continuously for 10 minutes a day, every day. You’ll be amazed at the difference it will make in your life!
At Home Solutions offers free classes on laughter yoga in the communities we serve. Laughter Yoga combines playful laughing exercises and deep breathing, no contortion required! Classes are taught by a certified laughter yoga leader and are appropriate for seniors and adults with disabilities. For more information, call 1-888-496-3983