Attention Caregivers! Sometimes we are so busy caring for others that we forget to tend to our own needs. Trying to be all things to all people while striving to get everything done on
your to-do list is an
unrealistic goal. The pursuit of “perfection” can produce enormous stress, unhappiness, and even illness. The Ten Commandments for Reducing Stress is a wonderful reminder that we should seek relaxation and balance in our lives. Print it, post it, and read it daily!
Ten Commandments for Reducing Stress
1. Thou shalt not be perfect nor even try to be.
2. Thou shalt not try to be all things to all people and spread thyself too thin.
3. Thou shalt leave things undone that ought to be done.
4. Thou shalt not criticize thyself for decisions that were made without the benefit of hindsight.
5. Thou shalt learn to say “No”.
6. Thou shalt schedule time for thyself and thy supportive network.
7. Thou shalt switch off and do nothing regularly.
8. Thou shalt be boring, untidy, inelegant, and unattractive at times.
9. Thou shalt not even feel guilty.
10. Especially, thou shalt not be thine own worst enemy, but be thy best friend.
Written by Hillary Langfordcaregivers, senior care, stress reduction